El Caminito del Rey translates as ‘the King’s little pathway’and it traces its history back to 1901, when it was decided that the workers of Chorro Falls and Gaitanejo Falls needed a walkway to cross between the falls, and to transport materials. In 1905 the path was completed and in 1921 King Alfonso III crossed the walkway at the inauguration of Conde del Guadalhorce Dam.
The video above was shot by a hiker and gives an insight into how dangerous this walkway had become when it was closed in 2000 after several people lost their lives. The walkway is just one metre wide, and consists of concrete resting on steel supports and stanchions. In June 2011, local and regional governments in Malaga and Andalucia agreed to restore El Caminito del Rey to its former glory and to build a museum.