New York, New York, so good you will want to visit twice. No matter what your interests you will find a way to indulge them here. New York is made up of five boroughs, The Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Brooklyn and Staten Island. Each borough has a different character but all come together to make one of the most famous cities in the world.
New York is famous for its varied architecture from the brownstone rowhouses made famous by Carrie in Sex in the City to the skyscrapers climbed by the giant King Kong. Therefore visiting the top of The Rockefeller centre or walking the residential streets of Harlem is one of the most popular attractions in Manhattan. If you hope to scale one of the famous skyscrapers to get a bird’s eye view of the sprawling city heading there early or late in the evening (after 10pm) is recommended in order to avoid the queues and also experience the city at its best.
Temptations are everywhere in New York and there are no greater temptations than the fashion boutiques, antique stores, or cutting edge music shops – whatever you like to buy you will find something that tempts you to part with your dollars. The huge department stores like Macy’s are always popular with tourists. West Broadway and Fifth Avenue are both popular areas to shop with high end fashion stores everywhere you turn.
Once you have spent your dollars shopping you may feel the need to relax and there is no better place than Central Park. A green oasis in the heart of the concrete jungle offers a chance to relax with a book or even join a game of softball with the locals. However Central Park is not the only green space in the city with Bryant Park, Brooklyn Botanic Garden and Prospect Park just a few of the popular communal areas within the city, and last but not least is the space around The Statue of Liberty. Liberty Island offers you the chance to get up close with lady liberty and learn the story of the 125 year old statue. Another island worth a visit is Ellis Island which was the gateway for millions of immigrants to the United States. Today the island hosts a museum retelling the story of some of those immigrants to the US.
The city that never sleeps is a phrase often used to describe New York and it is true. There are restaurants, bars, shows and clubs across the city to keep you entertained throughout the night. Catching a show on Broadway is a fantastic experience and there are plenty to choose from. Once you have been entertained by the acting you can then enjoy a meal from any cuisine in the world. You will be able dive in with your chopsticks in China town, enjoy a delicate pastry in Little Italy, a mezze from Turkey or a beef burger in a traditional American diner.
If you still have the energy why not visit one of the hundreds of bars in New York. The city is so expansive you will probably find yourself spending the evening in one area of the city, whether it is Lower Manhattan or Williamsburg in Brooklyn. No matter where you go you will find bars offering differing entertainment, whether it is jazz, a dance floor full of fun, or locals relaxing after a long day in the office. For a different experience during your night why not go back in time? Speakeasies are becoming ever popular in the city and offer a glimpse of the history of the city during prohibition as well as the fun of cocktails and beer.
This is just a short description of some of the hundreds of highlights New York can offer. There is so much more to see and do and the best way to experience New York is to get out there and do it!
- Research before your arrival
- Consider buying a City pass. There are a number of different passes on offer that can be used at a variety of New York’s must see attractions. The passes will also offer attractions that you may have not considered. The two most popular are:
- Bus tours are a great way to see Manhattan and the tours that offer the chance to hop on and hop off are recommended. Some tours also offer the chance to see some of the other boroughs that make up the city.
- The Staten Island Ferry most people consider to be New York’s best free attraction. The round trip gives you stunning views of New York’s skyline.
- Central Park is a green oasis that offers the chance to escape the noise of the buzzing city.
- Brooklyn Bridge offers you the chance to cross the East river on one of the oldest suspension bridges in the United States.
- Catch a show in the world’s most famous theatre land, Broadway.
- Speakeasies will give you a different experience during your night out. PDT (Please Don’t Tell) which can be reached through a telephone booth in a Crift Hot Dog restaurant truly offers that different experience.
- For something different a speed boat tour around Manhattan island offers an exhilarating view of the city.
- And so much more to see and do!